Mahalabia or Muhallabia is a middle eastern milk pudding flavored with orange blossom water or rose water.
The common thickening agent added is corn starch.Some traditional Mahalabia Recipes also uses fine rice powder to thicken the milk pudding.
Thought this is a simple milk pudding, this Mahalabia dessert will not taste like a regular milk pudding.I think it’s because it has that unique heavenly aroma from the rose water or the orange blossom water which is the most common flavor added while making this delicious Mahalabia dessert.
What You will love about this Mahalabia recipe
This Mahalabia is a dessert, which is creamy, rich, not overly sweet and super delicious.
This milk pudding is one of the easiest and quickest desserts that we can make at home.
Another good thing that you will love about this mahalabia recipe is that ,we can make them ahead of time and keep it chilled.
Ingredients for making Mahalabia
- 4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6-7 tablespoons corn starch (Maizena)
- Half Tsp Rose water or 1 tablespoons orange blossom water
- Toppings: nuts, jam, fruit, honey, etc.
How to make Mahalabia
Prepare the milk and corn starch mixture by dissolving corn starch into half a cup of milk.
Heat the rest of milk and sugar in a saucepan on med-high heat.
When milk is about to boil,add the corn starch -milk mixture.
Keep on stirring milk (watch carefully – will easily burn or stick to bottom of pan).
Once mixture thickens, remove from heat.
Add rose water.
Pour into bowls or cups or ramekins.
Let it cool down completely.
Once cooled (must be lukewarm or cooler), cover it and place in refrigerator and chill for at least 2-3 hours.
How to serve Mahalabia
Here are five different topping ideas for Mahalabia.
- Top with toasted and crushed/chopped nuts (almond or pistachios) before serving.This is the most favorite and most common way Mahalabia is served.If you like you can also add dried rose petals as well.
- Though it’s not a usual combo for mahalabia ,We can also serve them with some fresh berries as we did while serving Italian Pannacotta.
- We can also use caramel sauce and get a very similar taste as that of a flan or creme caramel.
- Chocolate lovers can top mahalabia with chocolate shavings or with some chocolate syrup.
- We can use Natural Honey for topping Mahalabia.
Can I make mahlabi with evaporated milk
Yes, you can use evaporated milk instead of milk in this muhallebi recipe.It will give a more rich and creamy taste and texture to mahalabia dessert.
Tips for making the Best Muhallabia every time you make
We need to cook the mixture on a very low heat in a thick bottomed pan.
Stir the mixture constantly so that we can prevent any chance of burning or scorching.
Use the right amount of corn starch to get very soft and smooth mahalabia. It’s better to have them not very thick.
Watch the video :How to Make Mahalabia
Hope you found this Mahalabia recipe ,easy to make.Hope you make this at home.Enjoy!
Let me share the happiness with you that, our Blog Merryboosters got Featured in Feedspot’s Top 30 Baker Mom Blogs.
If you are a great fan of pudding and if you want another simple and easy dessert,You can get this easy flan recipe where you can make it in three simple steps (Recipe with video)
If you don’t want to add eggs in to your dessert, then you can check out this Silky Smooth Creamy Italian panna cotta Recipe(Recipe with video)
Mahalabia: Printable Recipe
- 4 cups milk
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 6-7 tbsp corn starch (Maizena)
- 1/2 tsp Rose water or 1 tablespoons orange blossom water
- Toppings: nuts, jam, fruit, honey, etc.
- Prepare the milk and corn starch mixture by dissolving corn starch into half a cup of milk.Heat milk and sugar in a saucepan on med-high heat. When milk is about to boil,add the corn starch -milk mixture.Keep on stirring milk (watch carefully – will easily burn or stick to bottom of pan). Once mixture thickens, remove from heat. Add rose water. Pour into bowls or cups or ramekins.Once cooled (must be lukewarm or cooler), cover it and place in refrigerator and chill for at least 2-3 hours.Top with toasted nuts.
Monday 13th of February 2023
Simple and good.
Saturday 29th of January 2022
I see something genuinely interesting about your web site so I saved to bookmarks.
Friday 10th of December 2021
Thanks for your article. I also believe laptop computers have grown to be more and more popular currently, and now will often be the only type of computer included in a household. The reason is that at the same time actually becoming more and more very affordable, their working power is growing to the point where they can be as potent as desktop computers from just a few years back.
Cheap Proxy Servers
Sunday 12th of September 2021
I really wanted to write a comment to be able to express gratitude to you for all of the fabulous secrets you are giving out at this site. My long internet search has finally been rewarded with excellent facts to talk about with my colleagues. I would claim that many of us visitors are quite fortunate to live in a great place with very many brilliant people with very helpful principles. I feel truly happy to have encountered your entire web site and look forward to plenty of more entertaining minutes reading here. Thanks once again for everything.
Friday 10th of September 2021
The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.