This easy homemade crescent rolls recipe will help you make super soft and fluffy crescent rolls in less than two hours.
This quick crescent rolls recipe is amazing.
We need only seven basic ingredients to make this easy crescent rolls.
The crescent rolls are pillowy soft and cotton light…they are super delicious and looks great on the dinner table.
For this quick crescent rolls recipe,we don’t need to proof the dough two times..thus we can save a lot of our time.
This dough is versatile and can be used to make both sweet and savoury recipes.
This homemade crescent rolls recipe is actually adapted from our original quick dinner rolls recipe which is one of the Reader’s most favorite yeast rolls recipe.
I am so happy to share this quick and easy method of making awesome crescent rolls.
What is a crescent roll
These Crescent Rolls are soft and fluffy dinner rolls in the shape of croissants.They are not flaky and buttery as croissants but soft, fluffy and moist like dinner rolls.
Are crescent rolls and croissants the same
No,Crescent rolls are just buttery, slightly sweet yeast rolls in the shape of croissants.They are soft, fluffy and look so beautiful.
Croissants are flakier, richer and tastier than crescent rolls. It has lots of butter and folded into several times to create that layered, thin, flaky texture.
Croissants are tough to make while crescent rolls are so easy to prepare.
Though Croissants are very difficult to prepare ,We have a very easy method for making flaky croissants.
In that method of making croissants we don’t need to fold the dough and keep it in refrigerator many times; as we are making them in a super easy way, by stalking the dough sheets one over the other.
If you want to make quick croissants , you will love this Easy Croissants Recipe.
Crescent Rolls Ingredients
- Flour :390 g (3 cups loosely packed)
- Warm milk (not hot ideally around 95 F like baby food) :170 ml (3/4 cup-1/2 tbsp)
- 1 Egg
- Butter :57g (1/4 cup or 4 tbsp)
- Yeast (instant/active dried yeast):1 tsp
- Sugar :32 g or 2 1/2 tbsp
- Salt:1 tsp(6g)
How to make crescent rolls
We can make homemade crescent rolls in 4 simple steps.
1.Prepare the crescent roll dough
2.Divide and shape the dough
3.Proof the dough
4.Bake the crescent rolls
1.PREPARE THE CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH
It is so easy to prepare the crescent rolls dough.
How to make crescent roll dough
Into a bowl,lets add all our ingredients together and mix them to form a shaggy mass of dough.
Add the milk,sugar,yeast,egg,salt ,butter and flour and mix them together.
Transfer the dough onto a clean work surface and knead the dough until the dough become soft and elastic.Only a well kneaded dough can produce soft and fluffy crescent rolls .
How should I know my dough is kneaded well?
We can test the doneness of dinner roll dough :If properly kneaded, the dough should stretch, without tearing or breaking, into a thin membrane that you can see through.
2.DIVIDE AND SHAPE THE CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH
Now let’s divide and shape our crescent roll dough
How to make crescent dough sheet
Once our quick dinner roll dough is ready,Roll out the dough into circle of approximately 5-6 mm thick(14 inch diameter).
Divide the circular dough into 4 equal pieces.Then each quadrant into into 3 equal parts.
How to fold crescent rolls
Take each piece of dough and place it with bottom side up.This gives a nice shape to our crescent rolls.
Now roll each piece of dough from the wider side to form croissant shape.
Place the crescent rolls into a nonstick baking tray or on to parchment lined baking tray or on to a well greased baking tray.
Cover them with a cling film and now they are ready for the proofing or rising.
3.PROOF THE SHAPED CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH
Let the crescent rolls dough sit in a warm environment for about 60 minutes or until they puff up and get doubled in size.
After an hour,brush the top of those rolls with an egg wash to make our rolls shiny and golden brown in colour when they are baked.
Now they are ready to to go into the oven.
4. BAKE THE CRESCENT ROLLS
Now our buttery crescent rolls are puffy and they are ready to go into the oven for baking.
How long to bake crescent bread
Bake the rolls in a 350 F or 180 C preheated oven for around 20 minutes(19-21 minutes).
If the dinner rolls are underbaked, the inside will be doughy and they smell yeasty.So baking crescent rolls sufficiently for 19-21 minutes.
HOW CAN I SUBSTITUTE EGG IN THIS EASY CRESCENT ROLLS RECIPE?
Role of egg in bread making:
Eggs added to dough help with rising. A bread dough rich with egg will rise very high, because eggs are a leavening agent (think genoise or angel food cake). As well, the fats from the yolk help to tenderize the crumb and lighten the texture a bit. Eggs also contain the emulsifier lecithin. Lecithin can add to the overall consistency of the loaf.
So it is difficult to substitute something else for egg to get the same result.
At the same time, I can say that ,as we have used only one egg in this Homemade crescent roll recipe, we can easily replace the egg to make crescent dinner rolls without much difference in texture and taste of the rolls.
As one egg is approximately 45 ml,just replace the same volume with milk or water.So you can add 3 tablespoon of water or milk in place of one egg.
Remember, this will not be equivalent to adding an egg,but i can promise you that it will be difficult to find any difference between the one made with and without egg in this quick crescent roll recipe.
HOW CAN I FREEZE CRESCENT ROLLS DOUGH
Shape the crescent rolls and place on to a large tray.Cover it and place the tray in the freezer.
Allow the rolls to freeze, then transfer to a freezer safe bag.
When you need them, take them out from the freezer.
Place onto a baking tray. Allow the crescents to thaw at room temperature and double in size.
Brush with egg wash, then bake until golden brown.
HOW CAN I FREEZE BAKED CRESCENT ROLLS
These easy crescent rolls can also be frozen after baking.
Allow the crescent rolls to cool completely.
Then transfer into freezer bags or containers and in the freezer until you need.
Take out the frozen rolls and let them come to room temperature.
Reheat in the oven or in the microwave just before serving.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE CRESCENT ROLLS?
Once the rolls are completely cooled, place the crescent rolls in a plastic storage bag, or wrap in foil and store at room temperature.
Properly stored,these quick dinner rolls will last for about 3-4 days at normal room temperature.
In extremely warm, humid temperatures,the dinner rolls should be frozen for longer-term storage.
For freezing: Place the buns in a heavy-duty freezer bag or wrap the buns tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap and freeze.
Properly stored, they will maintain best quality for about 3 months.
HOW TO REHEAT CRESCENT BREAD ROLLS
Thaw the crescent rolls and then brush/spray some water on the dinner rolls and place them into a 350 F preheated oven for 5 minutes.
The dinner rolls will be soft and fresh and they smells too good.
WHAT CAN YOU MAKE WITH CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH?
Homemade crescent roll dough can be used to make sweet or savoury dishes, dinner rolls and desserts.
WATCH VIDEO TO SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE CRESCENT ROLLS AT HOME
Crescent Rolls Recipe
- 390 g Flour (3 cups loosely packed)
- 170 ml Warm milk (not hot,ideally around 95F) (3/4 cup-1/2 tbsp)
- 1 Egg
- 57 g Butter (1/4 cup or 4 tbsp)softened
- 1 tsp Yeast (instant/active dried yeast)
- 32 g Sugar 2 1/2 tbsp
- 6 g Salt 1 tsp
PREPARE THE CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH
- Into a bowl,lets add all our ingredients together and mix them to form a shaggy mass of dough.Add the milk,sugar,yeast,egg,salt ,butter and flour and mix them together.Transfer the dough onto a clean work surface and knead the dough until the dough become soft and elastic.Only a well kneaded dough can produce soft and fluffy crescent rolls .
DIVIDE AND SHAPE THE CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH
- Now let’s divide and shape our crescent roll doughOnce our quick dinner roll dough is ready,Roll out the dough into circle of approximately 5-6 mm thick(14 inch diameter).Divide the circular dough into 4 equal pieces.Then each quadrant into into 3 equal parts.Take each piece of dough and place it with bottom side up.This gives a nice shape to our crescent rolls.
- Now roll each piece of dough from the wider side to form croissant shape.Place the crescent rolls into a nonstick baking tray or on to parchment lined baking tray or on to a well greased baking tray.Cover them with a cling film and now they are ready for the proofing or rising.
PROOF THE SHAPED CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH
- Let the crescent rolls dough sit in a warm environment for about 60 minutes or until they puff up and get doubled in size.After an hour,brush the top of those rolls with an egg wash to make our rolls shiny and golden brown in colour when they are baked.Now they are ready to to go into the oven.
BAKE THE CRESCENT ROLLS
- Bake the rolls in a 350 F or 180 C preheated oven for around 20 minutes(19-21 minutes).If the dinner rolls are underbaked, the inside will be doughy and they smell yeasty.So bake sufficiently for 19-21 minutes.