This Homemade English Muffins Recipe will show you, probably the most easiest way of making fluffy english muffins at home.
English muffins are thin disks of yeast-raised dough cooked on a griddle, rather than baked.
The english muffins made with this easy homemade english muffins recipe are soft and fluffy and you will be happy to see lots of nooks and crannies inside the muffins.
This homemade english muffins are easy to make and they freezes really well.
We can double this recipe and make a big batch. We can freeze and save the rest for later.That way you always have them for breakfast and brunch!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE
You will love this homemade english muffins recipe as
- It’s Super Easy to make
- We don’t need to use any special equipments to make this fluffy english muffins
- The ingredients needed for making this classic english muffins are pretty basic; some flour, water, sugar,salt and yeast.
- We can enjoy fluffy english muffins in almost two and half hours
- The real hand work needed for making this Homemade English Muffins will be only 15-18 minutes(10 minutes kneading +5 minutes for dividing and shaping )and the rest being the proofing time and cooking time.
- This homemade english muffins freeze well.
- As we use only plant based ingredients ,this english muffin recipe can be considered as vegan english muffins recipe as well.
ENGLISH MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
- Flour :455 g or 3 and 1/2 cups loosely packed
- Water :300-315 ml or 1 and 1/4 cups +/-1 tbsp
- Yeast :1 and 1/2 tsp or 4.5 g
- Salt :1 and 1/4 tsp or 7.5g
- Sugar :1 and 1/2 tbsp or 19 g
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS
These English breakfast muffins are super easy to make.
In this homemade english muffins recipe,We are making english muffins in five simple steps.
HOW TO MAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS ON STOVE TOP/GRIDDLE
1.PREPARE THE DOUGH
In to a bowl, pour in the water.
Add the sugar ,salt and yeast and combine them together until the ingredients get dissolved in water.
Now add the flour.
Stir and combine them together using a wooden spoon until they form into shaggy mass of dough.
Transfer the english muffin dough onto clean work surface and knead the dough for around 8-10 minutes or until the dough form a smooth and elastic dough.
If you don’t want to knead the dough, then you might like this easy no knead dinner rolls recipe.
Now cover the dough with a bowl and leave it on the counter to rise for 45 minutes.
3.DIVIDE AND SHAPE THE DOUGH
After 45 minutes of proofing, the dough will show slight rise.
Now degas the dough.
And then divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
I shaped the dough into a log and divided them into equal pieces.
If you want to be more precise on the measurements, each of them should around 64g each.
Shape the dough. Roll each piece of dough into a ball then flatten the ball into a disk.
Place the disks of dough on baking sheets that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle more cornmeal over the top and cover them with a lint-free towel or plastic film.
Let the dough rise in a warm draft-free area for 1 hour, until doubled in size.We need our dough disks to get really puffy.
After one hour of final rising our english muffin dough is ready to get baked.
5.BAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS ON STOVETOP
Transfer each of the english muffins on to the preheated skillet.
I preheated the skillet with some water on the pan for about four minutes prior to cooking.This ensures the skillet is properly hot while we bake the english muffins.
WHY DO WE NEED TO BAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS AT LOW TEMPERATURE
We need very low baking temperature for baking english muffins because we need to get the inside of the english muffins to get baked properly.For that we require low and steady temperature.
If the surface get browned too fast, then the inside of the english muffins will not get enough time to get cooked through.
So we need a very low to medium heat.For example ,I set my cooking range to 3.Its range is from 0-9.
Use a heavy bottom pan.
The one I have used is not cast iron and I noticed my skillet got hotter each batch.
And for the last batch,I found that the english muffins getting browned at around 4 minutes of them on the skillet.So if you notice the same, try reducing the temperature to get enough time to get them baked properly.
Cook the muffins for 5-6 minutes on one side.
Allow an inch or so of space between muffins and do not crowd the pan.
Cook until the bottoms of the muffins are golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
Flip and cook 5 to 6 minutes on the other side
Flip the muffins and cook the other side until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
Transfer cooked muffins to a cooling rack. Continue working in batches until all the muffins have been cooked.
If your pan is sticky,Add a small pat of butter to the pan between batches to prevent sticking.
Let the muffins cool completely before slicing or the centers will appear doughy.
Once cooled, use a fork to split them open. You can toast them in a toaster or toaster oven and serve them with your choice of toppings.
WHY MY HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS GET BROWNED TOO FAST
The Probable reasons for this are either,
A dark pan like a cast iron skillet distributes and holds heat, which can lead to it getting too hot too quickly.
If you are using an electric stove top, or a gas stove top it might be difficult to set a right temperature for “low” and temperatures may vary.
As I pointed earlier, our skillet will be hotter on the second or third batch than the first, creating varying cook times.
If the skillet is not a heavy bottomed pan the heat may conduct very fast.
WHAT TO DO IF THE ENGLISH MUFFINS GET BROWNED TOO FAST
If the homemade english muffins get browned too fast, the inside of the muffins may not get properly cooked and so it may be “doughy” in texture and smells “yeasty”
If the muffins are browning too quickly, don’t worry.
This can happen and we can solve it by placing them into a 325°F preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly.
CAN I BAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS IN THE OVEN
Yes,we can bake english muffins in the oven too .
Baking english muffins is also easy, though it’s not the way traditional english muffins are made.
Place the baking tray into the 170-180 C or 340-350 F preheated oven.
Bake for around 12-14 minutes or until they turn golden brown in color on top.
HOW TO FORK SPLIT AN ENGLISH MUFFIN
To get lots of holes inside your english muffins or to get the signature “nooks and crannies” inside your english muffins, use a fork to split them.
Insert fork into the sides of the english muffin.
Rotate your English muffin while moving your fork in and out at the same time until it arrives back at the place you started.
Now you can separate the two sides completely.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS
We can store this homemade english muffins covered airtight at room temp for 3-4 days.
CAN I KEEP ENGLISH MUFFINS IN THE REFRIGERATOR
Yes, you can. Baked English muffins will keep in the fridge for about a week.
CAN I FREEZE HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS
Yes you can freeze the English Muffins.
Let the homemade english muffins to cool down completely.
Wrap in plastic wrap and seal in a zip-top bag, and can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Thaw the muffins and toast before serving.
HOW TO USE FROZEN ENGLISH MUFFINS
Its easy to thaw English muffins since there are variety of ways to do so.
You can choose to leave them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight or simply leave them at room temperature then toast when you are ready to consume.
There are quicker and easier ways though. Simply pop your frozen English muffin in a toaster until crispy or in the oven straight from the freezer.
In the oven
I just take out the frozen muffins from the freezer bag and then spray it with some water or just show them in the tap water for a second and then place them into the 325 preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until they are warm and hot.
In the microwave
To use a microwave, unwrap the frozen English muffin and wrap it with a paper towel then microwave for 1 minute or until completely thawed depending on the power of your microwave. The paper towel allows it to retain enough moisture throughout the process.
CAN I ADD WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR TO MAKE WHOLE WHEAT ENGLISH MUFFINS
Yes you can add, part of flour as whole wheat flour to make whole wheat english muffins.If we use 100% whole wheat flour, the english muffin will come out dense .So it’s better to use plain flour and whole wheat flour in the ratio 1:1 to make fluffy whole wheat english muffins.
CAN I KEEP THE ENGLISH MUFFIN DOUGH IN REFRIGERATOR
Yes you can keep the dough in refrigerator after the first proofing.
The dough will stay good for up to 4 days in the fridge.
When you want to bake some english muffins, just take the dough out bring it to room temperature and then divide and shape the dough.Then Let them rise for 1 hour.Bake the English muffins.
You might also like this Panini Bread recipe as they make the best sandwich bread just like English muffins.
5 TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS
1.Preheat the skillet or griddle 2-3 minutes prior to baking the english muffins.
This will help to prevent the english muffins to get stick on to the pan surface.
Baking on a preheated skillet also ensures sufficient temperature for them to get cooked without forming tough skin.
2.Bake the english muffins for 5-6 minutes on each side.
As english muffins are thick discs of bread, it will take some time to get cooked through inside.
3.Set the cooking temperature low to medium.
If the temperature is high, then they will get browned too fast and the inside will not get cooked properly.
4.Handle the shaped and proofed english muffin dough gently.
If we are not gentle enough, there are chances that they may get deflated and not able to form fluffy english muffins.
5.While Kneading the dough, try not to add extra flour.
To get soft and fluffy English Muffins we need a sticky dough.
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make Homemade English Muffins
Homemade English Muffins
- 455 g Flour or 3 and 1/2 cups loosely packed
- 300-315 ml Water or 1 and 1/4 cups +/-1 tbsp
- 4.5 g Yeast or 1 and 1/2 tsp
- 7.5 g Salt 1 and 1/4 tsp
- 19 g Sugar 1 and 1/2 tbsp
PREPARE THE DOUGH
- In to a bowl, pour in the water.Add the sugar ,salt and yeast and combine them together until the ingredients get dissolved in water.Now add the flour.Stir and combine them together using a wooden spoon until they form into shaggy mass of dough.Transfer the english muffin dough onto clean work surface and knead the dough for around 8-10 minutes or until the dough form a smooth and elastic dough.
- Now cover the dough with a bowl and leave it on the counter to rise for 45 minutes.
DIVIDE AND SHAPE THE DOUGH
- After 45 minutes of proofing, the dough will show slight rise.Now degas the dough.And then divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.I shaped the dough into a log and divided them into equal pieces.If you want to be more precise on the measurements, each of them should around 64g each.
- Shape the dough. Roll each piece of dough into a ball then flatten the ball into a disk.
- Place the disks of dough on baking sheets that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle more cornmeal over the top and cover them with a lint-free towel or plastic film. Let the dough rise in a warm draft-free area for 1 hour, until doubled in size.We need our dough disks to get really puffy.After one hour of final rising our english muffin dough is ready to get baked.
BAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS
- Transfer each of the english muffins on to the preheated skillet.I preheated the skillet with some water on the pan for about four minutes prior to cooking.This ensures the skillet is properly hot while we bake the english muffins.
- Cook the muffins for 5-6 minutes on one side.Allow an inch or so of space between muffins and do not crowd the pan. Cook until the bottoms of the muffins are golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Flip and cook 5 to 6 minutes on the other sideFlip the muffins and cook the other side until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.Transfer cooked muffins to a cooling rack. Continue working in batches until all the muffins have been cooked.
- Let the muffins cool completely before slicing or the centers will appear doughy. Once cooled, use a fork to split them open. You can toast them in a toaster or toaster oven and serve them with your choice of toppings.