This Tiger bread Recipe will help you make the best tiger bread or tiger rolls with soft and delicious crumb and with a super crunchy crust.
What is Tiger bread or Tiger Rolls
Tiger bread or tiger rolls (also sold as Dutch crunch or Giraffe bread) is the commercial name for a loaf of bread of Dutch origin that has a mottled crust.
Is Tiger bread easy to make?
Tiger bread is so easy to make just like any other bread that we make.It’s appearance is that something we all are curious and love about this tiger bread rolls.
How is the crackled crust on Tiger bread/Tiger rolls made ?
That crackled crust on top of tiger rolls is the result of spreading the half proofed bread dough with a rice flour paste.
When the tiger bread or tiger rolls get baked in the oven,the top of the bread gets this mottled crackly crust.
The rice flour is gluten free and so when the bread rises and expands in the oven ,the rice paste will not expand and they break and results in that characteristic appearance.
There are many different names for this bread ,some call it Dutch Crunch Bread or Tiger Bread (Tijgerbrood in Dutch) or Dutch Tiger Bread (tijgerbolletjes) or Tiger rolls and some call this bread a giraffe bread though the appearance of this bread is more similar to that of a leopard 🙂
What is Tiger bread made from?
We can make the bread part of this tiger bread using very basic ingredients flour,water,salt,sugar,butter and yeast.
The crunchy crust of tiger rolls is made with a rice paste which is a thick paste made with some rice flour, water,oil,sugar,yeast and salt.
Origin of the Name :Tiger Bread
The name originated in the Netherlands, where it is known as tijgerbrood or tijgerbol (tiger roll).Source Wikipedia.
What you will love about this tiger bread recipe
- This Tiger bread recipe uses minimal ingredients which are basic and easily available.
- It is so easy to make and it does not require any special equipments to make this tiger loaves.
- The resulting tiger bread/dutch crunch bread/Tijgerbrood is so delicious with crunchy crust and soft and fluffy crumb inside.
How to make Tiger bread/Dutch crunch bread/Tiger rolls
Ingredients needed for this tiger bread recipe
For the bread
- Flour: 357 g or 2 3/4 cup
- Warm water: 210 ml or 1 cup-2 tbsp
- Instant yeast: 1 tsp(Active dry yeast 1 and 1/4 tsp)
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Butter: 42.6 g or 3 tbsp
- Sugar or honey : 1 tbsp or more according to your preference
For the crunchy topping
- Rice flour:30 g or 3 tbsp
- Water:38 ml or 2 and 1/2 tbsp
- A pinch of Salt
- Sugar:1/2 tbsp
- Yeast:1/4 tsp
- Oil:1/2 tbsp
We can make this Tiger bread in five simple steps
1.Prepare the dough
Into a bowl, add in the lukewarm water, honey or sugar,salt,yeast and stir to dissolve the ingredients in water.
Add in the softened butter.
Add the flour.
Combine everything together to form a shaggy mass of dough.
If you are kneading with stand mixer then it will be so much easier for you to knead the dough.
After kneading the dough for 8-10 minutes,Our dough should be soft and smooth and it will bounce back when pressed and it will still show a tendancy to stick on to the surface.
Now our dough is ready for the first proofing.
If you don’t want to knead the dough, then you will love these No knead Bread recipes.
Take a clean bowl ,place the dough inside it and then wrap it with a plastic film and let the dough stand rise in a warm environment for 30 minutes.
3.Shape the tiger bread
We can shape this bread into any shape you prefer.
We can divide them into 8 small dough balls (78-80 g each) to shape them as dinner rolls or yeast rolls or tiger rolls.
Here in the video,I divided the proofed dough into halves.
Degas the dough and shaped them to form small long loaves.
Place them on parchment lined baking sheet or onto a lightly floured baking sheet.
Cover the dough with a plastic film so that it will not get dry.
I smeared some oil on a plastic film to prevent any chance of dough sticking to the cling film.
Let the shaped dough sit and rise in warm environment for around 1 hour.
If your place is cold I recommend proofing for 15-20 more minutes.
We need our shaped dough to rise well or to get doubled in size.
In between the proofing time,We need to smear the loaves with rice paste.
How to prepare the rice paste
In a bowl, take the rice flour.Add,yeast, salt and sugar.
Stir so that all those ingredients are evenly distributed in the flour.
And then water and oil.Mix to form a paste.
It’s important that the mixture is spreadable in consistency, so adjust using small amount of water or rice flour to make it a thick spreadable consistency, if it’s not already at that stage.
So after 20 minutes of proofing, paint the surface of loaves with rice paste.
Put an equal amount of topping on top of each bun and spread it using a pastry brush.
Cover it again and let the loaves sit in warm environment for 40-50 more minutes to finish the final rising or until they are almost doubled in size.
If your place is cold I recommend proofing for 15-20 more minutes.
5.Bake the bread
Bake the tiger bread /tiger rolls at 400 F preheated oven for around 35 minutes.
The top of the bread will start to get browned at around 30 minutes, but wait for 5 more minutes to get the top turn completely golden brown.
Tiger Bread/Tiger rolls :Baking duration for different shapes
If the shape of the bread is medium sized tiger rolls (79-80 g each ;the rolls when divided into 8 equal parts) then it will get baked in about 25 minutes of baking.
For medium shaped sandwich loaves (158 g each ;when the dough is divided into 4 equal pieces) it may take around 30-32 minutes of baking.
If the bread is a single loaf (640g each) ,then it will take around 40-45 minutes for it to get baked properly.
Why is tiger bread /tiger rolls so good?
Though Tiger bread rolls are very similar to any other breads, the texture,taste and aroma of this bread is something that makes them unique.
The crust is finely crunchy and at the same time the crumb is very soft and fluffy.This tiger bread/tijgerbrood have a subtle sweetness to it which most of us love.
What is the difference between Tiger bread and giraffe bread?
Tiger bread and Giraffe bread are basically the same.Due to the appearance, some call it tiger bread and some giraffe bread.
What to eat with Tiger bread
We can have this Tiger bread/tijgerbrood on its own or with some plain butter or with some jam or hazelnut spread.
Tiger loaves or buns can be sliced horizontally and can be filled with any of our favorite fillings and can have as a sandwich as well.
Can I skip adding yeast in the rice paste.
I have made this tiger rolls/tijgerbrood without adding yeast into the rice paste.
The resulting bread had a crust not very beautifully cracked as the one made with yeast.
And the color of the crust was very pale compared to the one made with yeast.
So I would recommend adding yeast into the paste.
Why should we add yeast to the rice paste
As yeast is a fermenting agent or a natural leavener,when added in the rice flour paste, it makes the rice flour paste get fermented.
This makes the rice flour paste filled with air and thus, when it get baked in the oven,the outer crust will be more light and airy.
As a result,the crust of Tiger bread or Tiger rolls or Dutch crunch bread has a very fine crunchy crust.
What can add instead of rice flour in this tiger bread recipe
You can use any gluten free flour like millet flour or oat flour or almond flour , or bread crumbs or potato flour.We can use pastry flour as well ,as it contain less gluten.
Is ground rice the same as rice flour?
Though “ground rice” and “rice flour” are powdered rice,the difference in Ground Rice and Rice Flour is in the texture of the product.
Both are gluten free fine creamy-off white powder produced by milling rice. The Ground Rice is just slightly coarser than the Rice Flour.
We need very fine powdered rice for this tiger bread recipe.
Does Tiger bread or tiger rolls have Marmite on it?
It is not necessary to add marmite to the rice paste to paint on top of the bread loaf.
Adding Marmite or malt extract or Vegemite or any other brand of yeast extract can slightly enhance the flavor the tiger bread/tijgerbrood.This can bring that bakery flavor (Tiger bread that we get from supermarkets) to the Dutch Crunch Bread.
Can you freeze tiger bread or tiger rolls?
After baking, let the bread cool down completely on a cooling rack.
Wrap it thoroughly with a plastic film and keep it in freezer.
It will stay good for upto a month.
Watch the video to see How to make tiger bread/tiger rolls
Tiger Bread Recipe :The Best Tiger Rolls Recipe
For the tiger bread dough
- 357 g Flour or 2 3/4 cup
- 210 ml Warm water or 1 cup-2 tbsp
- 1 tsp Instant yeast (Active dry yeast 1 and 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 42.6 g Butter 3 tbsp
- 1 tbsp Sugar or honey or more according to your preference
For the Crunchy Topping
- 30 g Rice flour 3 tbsp
- 38 ml Water or 2 and 1/2 tbsp
- A pinch of Salt
- 6.5 g Sugar or 1/2 tbsp
- 1.5 g Yeast or 1/4 tsp
- 7.5 ml Oil or 1/2 tbsp
Prepare the dough
- Into a bowl, add in the lukewarm water, honey or sugar,salt,yeast and stir to dissolve the ingredients in water.Add in the softened butter and flour.Combine everything together to form a shaggy mass of dough.Knead the dough to form a very soft,smooth and elastic dough.
- Take a clean bowl ,place the dough inside it and then wrap it with a plastic film and let the dough stand rise in a warm environment for 30 minutes.
Shape the tiger bread
- We can shape this bread into any shape you prefer.We can divide them into 8 small dough balls (78-80 g each) to shape them as dinner rolls or yeast rolls or shape them like burger buns or like long french baguettes.Here in the video,I divided the proofed dough into halves(around 318 -320 g each).Degas the dough and shaped them to form small long loaves.Place them on parchment lined baking sheet or onto a floured baking sheet.Cover the dough with a plastic film so that it will not get dry.I smeared some oil on a plastic film to prevent any chance of dough sticking to the cling film.
- Let the shaped dough sit and rise in warm environment for around 1 hour.If your place is cold I recommend proofing for 15-20 more minutes.We need our shaped dough to rise well or to get doubled in size.In between the proofing time,We need to smear the loaves with rice paste.
- How to prepare the rice pasteIn a bowl, take the rice flour.Add,yeast, salt and sugar.Stir so that all those ingredients are evenly distributed in the flour.And then water and oil.Mix to form a paste.It’s important the the mixture is spreadable, so adjust using small amount of water or rice flour to make it a thick spreadable consistency, if it’s not already at that stage.So after 20 minutes of proofing, paint the surface of loaves with rice paste.Put an equal amount of topping on top of each bun and spread it using a pastry brush.Cover it again and let the loaves sit in warm environment for 40-50 more minutes to finish the final rising or until they are almost doubled in size.If your place is cold I recommend proofing for 15-20 more minutes.
Bake the bread
- Bake at 400 F preheated oven for around 35 minutes.